Thursday, July 30, 2015

The Burden of Proof

Daily Quote
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof."
-Christopher Hitchens-

Lesson of the Day

People today have an idea that the burden of proof lies upon others to disprove, rather than on the self to prove. That's a blatant misconception, one of laziness and hubris. Some people think that their ideas and actions should be taken as true without proof, unless someone can disproves them. That's complete crap. I am responsible for proving that my ideas, plans, views, actions are good ones, that they are relevant and useful. If I want to pursue a plan to solve a problem, it is my job to prove the logic and reason, to illustrate how it solves the problem. If I want to pursue a dream, and I need help, it's my job to prove that it's a worthwhile one that's worthy of help. If I am for or against something, it's up to me to prove why or why not, to show my reasons. If someone leverages a complaint or argument against another, they need to have valid reasons why they do. At the same time, if someone challenges an idea, view, action, that you have or do, and they provide valid reasons, then it's on you to defend your position, or else the other person is right by default. If you don't feel like defending what you think and do, that's fine, but stop expecting people to listen to you. Either prove it, or be okay with people not believing you and not listening to you. I've said it before, proof is everything, but it must be said that no one is exempt from the burden of proof.

Questions to Ponder
What times have you shrugged the burden of proof? Did you still expect people to listen and believe you? What times have others done the same? Why would it ever be okay to not provide evidence?

Gratitude
I'm thankful for all of the critical thinkers out there who rely on logic and reason, who contemplate life and the world. I'm thankful for all of the chances I have to develop myself and learn and grow. I'm thankful for my mindset. Thank you all for reading, and I hope you all have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment