Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Family

Daily Quote
"When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching - they are your family."
-Jim Butcher-

Lesson of the Day
My family isn't determined by genetics, but rather by who they are and how they treat me. You see, family isn't something you're born into, it's not something just given. It's forged through experience and time and effort, it's chosen by everyone involved, it's earned. I don't care what the law says, or what blood says, until you've proven yourself to me, you'll never be family. My family is supportive, kind, mean when they have to be, loyal, independent, respectful, disrespectful when it's necessary, hard-working, driven people, among many other things. You don't just get accepted into it, you have to prove with your actions that you deserve the highest places in my heart, and I expect nothing but the same in return. My mom is family, she has spent twenty years and god knows how much money raising me and helping me succeed. My grandmother is family, she was like a second parent to me growing up investing a great deal more time and energy and money in myself and my brother than most grandmothers do. My brother is my family, we went through so much together, and no matter how we differ, he's family to me. My closest friends are family, they have gone through fire with me and been there for the darkest times, and to call them less than family would be an insult like no other. Genetics doesn't make family. Spilling blood, sweat, and tears for and with someone is what makes them family.

Questions to Ponder
Who is your family? Why are they family? Are your reasons good ones? How much are you honestly willing to go through for your family?

Gratitude
I'm thankful for all of those I consider family, and all of those I consider friends, you all mean a great deal to me and have had quite the impact on my life. You all are amazing people, don't you for one second think otherwise. Thank you all for reading, I hope you all have great days, and that you take some time today to show those closest to you that you love them.

1 comment: