Lesson of the Day
Reality is different for everyone, every event is different for every person. We all exist in a framework, which we then paint with the colors of the lives we live. What I can do is different from what others can do. I got thinking about this when I realized that a lot of people take one look at me and put me against their own life experience. A prime example is my history in football. I have issues with overheating, vomiting, and blacking out. I was in great shape, I drank plenty of water, I took care of myself. I'm healthy as far as any tests have found. So it wasn't my health, nor was it my diet or the heat itself, as everyone else was fine. What I have found is that I just handle heat differently. As in, I start getting hot and often nauseous around 75 to 80 degrees, even after acclimatization to the summer heat. On the other hand, when it's really cold out, low teens and below zero, I'm often just as comfortable as most people in the fall. Now, when I mention this to others, or mention how severe the symptoms can be (often I was puking up to ten times a day and dry heaving after that, up to blacking out), they don't believe me. Not because they have any evidence, or because they know I'm a liar, as they often don't know me. Their only support is that they've never experienced that, and I stress that those are their words, not mine. However, for every single one, as soon as they see what happens when I'm subject to heat, and know that I'm rested and eating well and hydrating, they cease their doubt. My body doesn't work like others, I can't do what others can do physically, either through injuries or just how I am. That is my reality, that is something I cannot change, that I can only manage. It's important to realize that it's okay to doubt, but it's not okay to insult, and degrade, and hurt people just because you haven't experienced something or don't understand. Take the time to see from another person's point of view before you do anything. Take the time to put yourself in their shoes and try to understand what it's like for them, to see through their eyes. Take time to actually understand another person, what makes them tick, and you will never see life or others the same way again.
Questions of the Day
Have you taken time to understand another person? Did it change your opinion of the person? Did it change you? Do you understand yourself?
Gratitude
I'm thankful for my differences, and for my story. I have my weaknesses and my strengths, like anyone else, but I love myself and who I am. I'm so grateful to be alive and successful, to be making progress in my life. And I'm thankful for all of you, for reading. Have a fantastic day, make it what you want it to be.
No comments:
Post a Comment