Saturday, June 27, 2015

Be Real - June 27, 2015

Lesson of the Day
One of the best pieces of advice I've ever received was "Get real", albeit in more words. I was a naive, selfish, inexperienced kid at the time, and I think, more than anything, this made me grow up. Essentially it was to think realistically. For example, I wanted to go to MIT, but at the time (the beginning of my second year of college), I had no plan to pay for it or how I'd get in or anything. Well I realized too late that, due to my lack of realistic thinking and planning, that I had lost that chance for now. And even just this last semester, I failed, because I wasn't realistic in my view of how much I could handle at once in regards to demands on my time and energy. It's great to have goals, and dreams, and I'm in no way saying to stop dreaming. However, you need to set a plan. You need to know how much you can take and how long. You need to set your path realistically, knowing what you can do and what you can't. Get to know yourself, and get to know what matters to you. Then, set your goals. But always keep reality in mind. Dream, but keep yourself grounded with your wits about you. Push your limits, but know where your limit lies, and don't plan for things that you can't handle. Be real, you can't give more than your best.

Questions of the Day
When have false perceptions of reality caused you to fall? When have you been unrealistic?

Gratitude
Today,  I'm grateful that I have so many opportunity to meet great people. I'm so glad that my closer today and yesterday has helped so much at work with my hip injury. And, frankly I'm just glad to finally get home after a fourteen hour day while injured. It's good to rest and relax. 

No comments:

Post a Comment